Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Monumental Moments

As I pack my baby bag to prepare for the upcoming hospital stay, I have moments where I am super excited, and then there are moments of fleeting fear. The excitement outweighs the anxiousness right now, but I know the next few days, weeks, years, and decades will bring a whole new sense of depending on the Lord!

When I was a teenager, one of my biggest problems was making dating relationships last, thinking I had all the answers. Then once I was saved, I had to truly trust that the one I was marrying was God's Will for my life, and depend on Him to control my flesh if I was ever going to be a proper helpmeet! Now that I've been married for a few years, I have a better grasp on being a good Christian wife, but we all know that there's always room for improvement. I mess up time and time again, letting "emotions" and things get in the way, and I return to the Lord with an open heart for restoration. I am blessed that my husband is forgiving when I have my moments :) But I've realized very fast that I cannot do this marriage thing on my own! I read devotional books, the Bible for godly examples, and improve my listening skills during sermons to gather all the information I can. Now that I feel more-so better equipped as a helpmeet, a whole different adventure comes knocking at the front door- and I am once again lost for wisdom! God equips us for one challenge, and just when we think we have a hang of things, BAM! a new one comes along! He doesn't let us get away with thinking we've outsmarted our situations! :)

So my new adventure is now becoming a Mommy! I realized how selfish I was once I got married and had to put my husband's needs above my own in order to make the relationship work, so I can only imagine how less selfish I need to become, in order to care for an entire life from now on! I need to keep depending on the Lord to handle all the worries and concerns about being a new mom. Oh, if there were only room in this blog to list all the things that frighten me about pregnancy, labor, delivery, and postpartum care of the baby! BUT... that's just my point! I need things to fear, so that I can give them to the Lord, and personally witness how He will provide peace!

*I will try, Dear Abigail, to be the mom that God wants me to be for you! And we will try, as parents, to train you up in the Lord so that you may not depart from it!*

All of the "scary" things we go through serve a purpose, and we can either try to handle them on our own, or seek the Lord to help us through. Obviously trusting God is the reasonable answer, but we need to decrease ourselves in order to increase Him in our lives. I can now just slightly relate to how Hannah in the Bible felt, offering everything to the Lord for His blessing of motherhood! So, here I am about to embark on my personal voyage of motherhood with very little knowledge, but more and more dependence on our Heavenly Father, and I can completely rest in His care.


"Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths." [Proverbs 3:5,6]

No comments:

Post a Comment