Friday, September 30, 2011

Mirror Image


The mirror. This simple object (a glass pane inside a frame) is looked into countless times a day; comes in various shapes, colors, and sizes, and just about everyone has one, in at least five rooms of their house. What is so fascinating about the mirror? Even from infancy, there is usually one right above the dresser in the nursery. Miss Baby-girl coos over her reflection and the discovery of eye-contact. As she grows, so does the size and quantity of mirrors she owns. Every glance in the glass reaffirms her pros and cons, and with a quick brush and shining of gloss, she has numerously more pros, until the next time she returns.

So, what is my point? We give ample awareness to mirrors, and even more to the reflection. And why? We want to hold ourselves accountable for our appearances, perhaps. We want to know what everyone else sees, or we want to analyze the good and the ‘less-than-par’, with the intention of change. This routine seems to be in the unwritten handbook of being a girl, and comes very naturally, with me as no exception. Now are mirrors bad? No. They are neutral. Is the excess time spent in the mirror considered bad? Well, let me put it this way. Consider the bathroom mirror. There is usually a sink below it. Before the AM coffee is brewed, there is a morning stare-down with your reflection. Then with a dose of sink water, the washing takes place, and a more satisfying image looks back at you. Does this daily ritual remind you of anything? To me, it almost seems as if I am making a sacrifice to myself. I have the fatted calf (which I can relate to most mornings) and I have an alter (the basin). After a determined washing, I am then pleased with what has occurred. So am I then treating myself as an idol every time I look into the mirror for approval? Not exactly, but it’s something to consider anyhow. (And praise the Lord we no longer need these sacrifices, because Jesus paid it all!) But maybe a comparison is warranted between the times we spend seeking self-approval compared to seeking God’s approval.


The way we view a mirror is similar to the way we view the Bible. The more time we spend gazing and searching every detail, the clearer and more familiar It becomes. But when we neglect His Word, for hours or days, we become a downright mess. Our shameful condition is even more evident the next time we see how much farther from perfection we allowed ourselves to become. If we keep our visits with the Bible (the Mirror to being in God’s image) few and far apart, we eventually say, “Oh well. It’s too late now; I have let myself go, and I might as well let it continue to happen.” We then become the person we spent so much time avoiding to be! Constantly exploring God’s Word will help you mature beautifully and gracefully. This routine may seem time-consuming at first, but we must remember WHO deserves the majority of our time in the first place! Soon His wisdom will settle naturally (and we’ll lose a few wrinkles of confusion on our burrowed foreheads.) Balance your priorities, making God as Number One, and you will not go asunder (like broken glass). Consider how much you desire to be Christ-like, and take the necessary steps to becoming a more distinct image of God. This process takes viewing the Scriptures with your eyes, to living in such a way others will see Him reflected in your life.

“But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves. For if any be a hearer of the word, and not a doer, he is like unto a man beholding his natural face in a glass: For he beholdeth himself, and goeth his way, and straightway forgetteth what manner of man he was. But whoso looketh into the perfect law of Liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.” [James 1:22-25]


1 comment:

  1. Great example, Ash! I have posted a verse up on the mirror in my little apartment so everytime I look in the mirror, I'm reminded that it's not really ever about me...but about Him! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete